What Is Coaching
Coaching is a very powerful tool of communication, where the coach acts like a catalyst for positive change in a way that is appropriate for individuals, teams and organisations.
Coaching is about asking questions in order to help the client find his own answers (without giving any advice).
As per Marshal Goldsmith “Coaching is helping successful leaders achieve positive, lasting change in behaviour: for themselves, their people and their teams”.
As per ICF - Coaching is partnering with clients in a thought provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximise their personal and professional potential.
Coaching is not the same as Mentoring, Training or Consulting.
What are the areas in which Coaching can work?
|| Conflict resolution
|| Team Building / performance
|| Productivity / performance improvement
|| Time Management
|| Balance of Life
|| Business Planning / Sales / Profits
|| Return on Investments / Strategy / Goals
Benefits of Coaching:
- Improved Performance and Productivity by bringing out the best in individuals and in teams; something that instructing does not even aspire to do.
- Staff development by helping an individual discover his / her true potential; as a result people develop and stay with the organisation.
- Improved relationships by making them aware of more and more options, feeling responsible; and the very act of asking question makes them feel valuable.
- Improved quality of life for individuals with the improved relationships and the success.
- More time for managers as the staff become more responsible and don’t have to be chased.
- Improved creativity by encouraging creative / innovative solutions to problems without the fear of ridicule or premature dismissal.
- Better use of people skills and resources as coaching helps uncover many hidden talents in the teams and unused / underused resources.
- Faster and effective emergency response with improved sense of responsibility and ownership leading to self-generated responses.
- More motivated staff as coaching helps people discover their inner motivations.
- Culture change, the coaching principles around the management style of the high performance culture to which many business leaders aspire. Coaching programs help make culture transformation more realisable.
A coach has the mindset that
- People already have all the resources within themselves to achieve what they want
- Every behaviour has a positive intent in some context
- People always makes the best choice available at any given time
- There is no such thing as failure, only feedback
- Change brings change
Why Coaching works:
Coaching increases our awareness of choices which empowers us in making better decisions.
Over a period of time.
- We develop / acquire limiting beliefs which must go so that we continue to grow
- We tend to limit our thinking which restricts our actions and thus results
- We tend to play safe, develop comfort zones and not take risks or challenge ourselves
- We tend to base our decisions on superficial perspectives due to lack of time / in order to look good / to fit certain groups and so on
- We lose track of our dreams, values, strengths and aspirations in order to achieve material successes
- Our thinking gets coloured by our experiences, expectations of others and our perceptions of what others think of us
Coaching works because it helps us
- Get rid of all our limiting beliefs
- Enhance our thinking
- Challenge the challenges
- Correct and re-aligns our perspectives
- Realize our true potentials
- Uncolour our perceptions
- And lot more
Coaching as a process brings very effective results to Individuals as well as organisations due to
- One to One focus
- Articulate measurable goals
- Confidentiality of conversations
- Objectivity in feedback
- Accountability for the decisions
- Actions – immediate, real time practice
- Stretch and challenge in generating innovative solution
- Structured, predefined sessions that brings order and systems to create time, space and energy
- Ownership of Goals set by the client