Coaching is a very powerful tool of communication, where the coach acts like a catalyst for bringing a positive change in a way that is appropriate for individuals, teams and organisations. It is not the same as Mentoring, Training or Consulting
Coaching is about asking questions in order to help the client find his own answers (without giving any advice).
As per Marshal Goldsmith “Coaching is helping successful leaders achieve positive, lasting change in behaviour: for themselves, their people and their teams”.
As per ICF "Coaching is partnering with clients in a thought provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximise their personal and professional potential".
Benefits of Coaching:
1. Improved Performance and Productivity by bringing out the best in individuals and in teams; something that instructing does not even aspire to do.
2. Staff development by helping an individual discover his / her true potential; as a result people develop and stay with the organisation.
3. Improved relationships by making them aware of more and more options, feeling responsible; and the very act of asking question makes them feel valuable.
4. Improved quality of life for individuals with the improved relationships and the success.
5. More time for managers as the staff become more responsible and don’t have to be chased.
6. Improved creativity by encouraging creative / innovative solutions to problems without the fear of ridicule or premature dismissal.
7. Better use of people skills and resources as coaching helps uncover many hidden talents in the teams and unused / underused resources.
8. Faster and effective emergency response with improved sense of responsibility and ownership leading to self-generated responses.
9. More motivated staff as coaching helps people discover their inner motivations.
10. Culture change, the coaching principles around the management style of the high performance culture to which many business leaders aspire. Coaching programs help make culture transformation more realisable.
Coaching as a process brings very effective results to Individuals as well as organisations due to
A) One to One focus
B) Articulate measurable goals
C) Confidentiality of conversations
D) Objectivity in feedback
E) Accountability for the decisions
F) Actions – immediate, real time practice.
G) Stretch and challenge in generating innovative solution
H) Structured, predefined sessions that brings order and systems to create time, space and energy
I) Ownership of Goals set by the client.